Sunday, June 29, 2014

The Paper Elephant

The most overwhelming part so far about international adoption is the amount of paperwork and the exacting detail involved in the administrative process. I totally understand the reason for all the paperwork and I'm glad that the screening of couples wanting to adopt internationally is so thorough, but that does not make the huge amount of paperwork any less cumbersome. The fact that it takes someone working diligently six months to complete the majority of the paperwork speaks for itself. Whenever I feel like the paperwork is staggering, I remember two things.

First, a former coworker of mine had a saying she would repeat whenever a project seemed colossal: "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time." She would repeat this to herself and to anyone else as often as she or the other person needed to hear it. My husband now reminds me of that saying whenever the adoption paperwork seems mountainous.

Second, and more importantly, I remember that this adoption is God's will and God is in control of it every step of the way. As we follow His will and allow Him to order our steps, He is in control of the entire process, from the very beginning administrative portion to matching us with the child He has chosen to be part our family and beyond that to when we are a family of four walking in His way.

So, I remind myself, "Allie, how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time."


No comments:

Post a Comment