Wednesday, May 11, 2016

One Year Today!

One year ago today, we held Petey in our arms for the first time and we became a family of four. I will always remember how tiny he was, and it still brings tears to my eyes thinking about how confused, scared and sad he was because he didn't understand what was going on, except that he was being handed over to people he had never seen before, who looked very different than his caregivers, and who were speaking a language he didn't understand. But I will also always remember how shortly after he finally let me hold him at the orphanage, he decided to trust me - he snuggled into my arms, let me feed him a bottle, fell asleep in my arms out of pure emotional exhaustion, sat on my lap at a restaurant and let me spoon feed him, and slept best in the hotels if he was laying on me, clinging to me. It was such a very emotional time for all of us. I will never forget the relief I felt a couple days into our adventure, when he smiled when I tickled him, smiled at the sight of us, and humorously knew to smile for photos. When he began to smile, I knew he was happy, and that made my heart glad.

In most ways, it feels to me like Petey has been our son for his entire life. He is part of me. When we think back at our time in China, think about all that has happened since then, and look at the photos that tell our story, it is amazing to think it began just one year ago today.

Looking at Petey on Gotcha Day and looking at him today, it is amazing how much he has grown, in so many ways:



Baby in China to Big Boy at home:



I took the first photo the last weekend of May 2015 at a local farm where the kids like to play. I took the second photo this weekend. What a difference a year makes:

 

~Allie


No comments:

Post a Comment